Skip to content
Timeline of the Armory Superintendent’s Quarters
- 1848 – Building No. 25 – the Armory Superintendent’s Quarters – is completed.
- 1862 – During the Civil War, this house is known as the Commanding Officer’s Quarters. President Abraham Lincoln spends the night here on October 1, 1862.
- 1869 – Following the Civil War, Nathan Cook Brackett works tirelessly to educate black freedmen, and “Storer Normal School” is opened at Harpers Ferry. In 1869, Building No. 25 is conveyed to the new school.
- 1881 – On the 14th Anniversary of Storer College, Frederick Douglass delivers a memorable address on the subject of John Brown here.
- 1882 – Lewis W. Anthony contributes more than $5,000 toward the construction of a new addition, and the building becomes known as Anthony Hall.
- 1906 – Storer College hosts the Second Niagara Conference, a gathering of civil rights advocates organized by Dr. W.E.B. DuBois.
- 1955 – Storer College closes its doors.
- 1960 – Anthony Hall and several other buildings that comprised Storer College are acquired by the National Park Service.
- 1963 – Anthony Hall is rehabilitated and renamed Wirth Hall for Conrad L. Wirth, sixth Director of the National Park Service.
- 1964 –The Stephen T. Mather Training Center is established in Wirth Hall. The facility, named for the first Director of the National Park Service, continues the tradition of education on Camp Hill.